Monday, July 28, 2008

compost: week one

so after the kids party i was kinda sick to my stomach with all the trash we generated. i wanted things to be different for my parent party and so i found this company called Branch that sells 100% biodegradable & compostable tablewear. looks super cool, relatively cheap (50 plates for $9) it worked well as tablewear now we'll see how it composts. this morning i added it to our already gigantic compost pile and as with the corn i'll be documenting weekly the decomposition of this tablewear. sorry if this is gross but i think it could be neat....we'll see!


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think it's awesome that you have a compost pile and that you're reducing your waste but I think most of those compostable plastics require the high heat of a commercial composting setup. They might take forever to compost in a regular home compost bin.

Maybe if you put all the stuff in a bucket or garbage can and pour boiling water it might speed up the process.

Good luck!

MikeHoss said...

I kinda agree with Anthony -- it's going to take a while on a home compost pile. Put a couple of loads of grass on the top of them, sprinkle some water, and see what happens.

But you have inspired me to take a pic of my home compost pile, which is not as big as yours but still impressive for me.

libb said...

i think it's great. yay, for you.