Monday, October 20, 2008

green smoothie

so over the past few years our family has been slowly (better slow then never, right?) becoming more health conscious. i dropped 25lbs over the last 6 months and am trying to maintain thru the holiday season then i will work on dropping another 10lbs starting in February. i've simply been cutting calories but that does not necessarily make me any healthier then i was 25lbs ago. sure weight loss is positive in many ways but i still have a very unhealthy diet. SO in order to fix that i've been thinking about nutritional supplements which are not as good as getting the nutrients thru raw food but it's definitely better than nothing. however, now i'm on a smoothie kick as it provides you with raw food in a very enjoyable form. my hope is that even the kids will be tempted to partake. the kids (especially May-May) have also been suffering from a poor diet and lately it's really caught my attention. i am not doing them any favors by letting them eat a junky & mostly nutrition-less dinner just because it's fast and i know they will eat it. however if i was able to get a green (or purple) smoothie into them daily i would feel much better!

there are so many green smoothie recipes out there but this (see below) is the best one i've found so far. i haven't tried it but i'm dieing to but we really need a blender first... maybe after the next paycheck. i love that Kale & blueberries are in it but i would love to find a recipe that also adds flax seed or oil & fish oil. anyone have a winning green smoothie recipe to share?




1 comment:

Jessa Fee said...

I do not have a green (or purple) smoothie recipe but I whip up good stuff in the blender all the time so I will get back to you.

I'll send you an invite now, and thanks for your interest in my blahg. I had to make it private because I signed a confidentiality agreement with our agency, and as far as we can tell blogging is a no-no until we adopt "Baby Grrl".

I'm awake right now at 2:10 a.m. because Baby Grrl needed a baba and a dipey change and I don't go back to sleep well.

BTW, I used to make PB&J almost every day for lunch. Now, I have six-year-old DS1 make it himself, and four-year-old DS2 prefers PB & honey. Ba dump bump.