Thursday, January 1, 2009

top 5 finds of 2008

i did this last year and will continue the tradition

Top 5 "finds" of 2008

1. hotshot - we started using one while on vacation in VA at my grandparent's house. they had an extra and sent us home with one and we haven't stopped using it since. this thing heats up water so fast and it's perfect for making oatmeal, tea or hot coco... really anything you need hot water for. we use it at least once daily for tea & oatmeal.

2. ipod- last year for Christmas Chris got me a cute little purple ipod shuffle and i used the heck out of it... to the point where in October (i thought) it was broken and my heart was crushed. this year Chris got me an upgrade: the 8g ipod Nano, in green! oh it's a beauty, this one even has a screen :o) i also fell in love with podcasts. the music on my pod is wonderful but the real wonders are all the podcasts i have on there.

3. Nada Surf- sometime this last year Chris drug me (kicking and screaming) to a Nada Surf concert and i've been listening to them (with my ipod) non-stop! love 'em love 'em love 'em!!

4. Google Reader- a true time saver. i love reading blogs (even of people i don't know, who are doing cool things) so this little gem tells me when someone has a new blog post. i used to check everyone's blog periodically but now i know instantly whenever anyone updates.

5. Parchment Paper- why i've never used this before last month i'll never know. a non stick surface that actually makes what you're baking come out better AND virtually eliminates the cleaning of that pan! wonderful stuff.... i just worry about the possibility of chemicals leching into food??

honorable mention: Fleece crafts! i've become a full fledged fleece-aholic and i think this might just be the beginning.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

chrunJust to reassure you, parchment paper is perfectly safe. The paper is treated with a fine layer of silicon, the same stuff they actually make silicon bakeware out of. It can withstand temperatures of up to 500° and won't give off any harmful chemicals. You can even reuse it if you're doing multiple sheets of cookies at a time. If you want to be a little more environmentally friendly, you can buy silpats, they are reusable silicon mats that you put on baking sheets.
Sorry to go on and on, baking is my hobby.

adiaspeer said...

thanks Becky, i need all the help i can get :o) i think once we're out of the paper i'm going to try the reusable ones!

~Beth D. said...

Fleece, fleece, tell me more about fleece! I tried my first sewing craft with fleece and my machine: didn't touch either for a very long time. Now i can use my machine, but fleece!? I would love to know what you do with the stuff!